Thursday, September 16, 2010

Silent White Thunder

SHE SMILED!
One week and 5 days later she smiles. She was sitting on my lap wile I was reading little red riding hood to the older kids at the front of the class. She was sticking out her little hand and waving to the kids on the ground. I could see one kid smiling to her so I cranked my head and looked. It wasn’t a full smile but her lips had parted and I could see some chicklet teeth. She was also more active today clapping and murmuring the children. I was very happy to see this. Today Molly, Carol Ann, and I took a auto rickshaw to the market. We sat there on a bench and just talked about our day and such. They told me this story that made me think of my girl. While CA and ML were sitting in their classroom after lunch a very small child around 4 was sitting beside them. He is always very quite and never plays with the other kids just keeping to himself. While they were sitting there is mother came and started freaking out and smacking him full force, winding up and hitting him across the face x4. ( His head is the size of Carol Ann’s hand) He didn’t cry and just down at the ground. For the rest of the day as per usual he just sat quietly in the corner not interacting. Once again this makes me think, when iam looking into my kids eyes what do those eyes see when iam not around and they are not at school? Carol Ann said while watching this she felt her face start burning and the tears coming. Stuff like that I just cant handle, and its such a norm here. If a mom were to come into a preschool class during lunch and started beating the shit out of her kid in Canada something would be done, and people would stop and stare. The kids in their class didn’t even think twice about it here. Anyways on a not so sad note I officially love India. Just sitting with the girls in the market drinking our Fanta’s, every minute a different vendor walking by trying to sell us something. The smell of fresh samosas lingering through the air, the ground littered with tiny blue cups used for chia that is sold by traveling vendors. Watching men stroll by holding hands, women in beautiful silk saris holding children. Everyone told me ohhh India you are going there so long its so dirty and gross. It may be dirty, but for the sacrifice of having to walk through some garbage and smell some piss of the side of the road every once in awhile is so worth it. The people, the food, the sites are all so beautiful. In our autorickshaw ride home the humid air was wiping me in the face and my hair was going everywhere. The sky was blue and the sun was begging to set, and I thought to myself there is no place I would rather be right now. This weekend I’am going to Agra! To see the Taj Mahal! Iam very excited I cant even imagine how beautiful this building is going to be. I know pictures wont be able to justify the magnitude of its beauty. I have more day of class left then iam off on Saturday morning! OH I forgot to say this! Last night while just getting ready to go to in my bed I heard these loud noise of high pressured water spraying (like hose water on a car noise) I didn’t think much of it until I hear people yelling. I come out to see steam billowing out of the washroom. Our hot water heater that was just “fixed” the day before had exploded! Hot water was flying everywhere and our washroom was so thick with steam out couldn’t see anything. Brandi turned off the power, and Molly and I called the staff. Pawan came and tinkered with it and told us “ Don’t use, we fix tomorrow”. I’am just glad noone was sitting on the toilet at the time as they would have had major burns on them because the hot water heater in above the toilet. Alright ya’ll over and out
Silent White Thunder

3 comments:

  1. Sadness and beauty.
    I wish I could see what you see.
    Keep on lovin' and teaching those kids Chloe.
    Namaste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I meant to post on "Silent White Thunder", and went on "poopy doopy" instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chloe - You are an incredibly gifted writer!! Your blogs are the hilite of my day!!! Keep on doing what you are doing. I can't wait to be there with you.
    Please hug sad baby for me.
    Love Marmee

    ReplyDelete