Wednesday, September 22, 2010

School days


Mam Ji fixing it Sad baby running on the left hand side

Kashish's pants fell off during dancing!!!!! LOL







Heyyyyy;

So today was like everyday, woke up at 8am to go to school. I'am finding it harder and harder to wake up in the morning. AKA im lazy and children are crazy and hard to keep up with energy wise. Everyday I get dropped off by a driver on the side of the road near a pile of garbage. Then I begin be descend into the slums. I walk a dirt path, which is more like a mud path because this damn extended monsoon season that was supposed to be over 21 days ago!!! On the right hand side is a brick wall and on the left hand side are houses/tiny shops. The shops sell Pann tobacco chew, and little candies. There is this one show off ass hole that parks his car almost every other day on the walking path, who keeps his bollywood music blared while he cleans his car infront of all the people living in the slums.. I dont know what his deal is.  Where that car is the path forks, i veer to the right. Without fail everyday iam walking i hear a ring ring of a bicycle bell, or a beep beep of a motor cycle. Without turning back now because iam so used to it, i get the hell out of the way and move to the side. The curve where the fork is it reeks like rancid urine, so i always put my scarf over my nose. When the path straightens out there is garbage the whole rest of the walk on the left hand side. Sometimes its dusted with white powder (lime). Then on the right hand side right before i get onto the school grounds the puppies which come into our playgrounds every day are sleeping there. Across from them are two goats, both with about a meter and a half of chain to walk around. One is literally tied to the schools gates. When i first get to class the children are listening to this god forsaken cassette of hindi children songs. I almost know all the songs and words. When i step in the children all start yelling and repeating GOOD MORNING MAM GOOD MORNING MAM. MAM MAM GOOD MORNING. They also call Jersey Mam, we try to correct them but this is a lost cause. As we start to right on the white board the letters of the day children are getting dropped off. Most of the children come in with bags that contains a pencil, snack, and bottle of water. Most of which instantly start eating thier snacks the minute they get to class. Then next the criers get dropped off. They get shuffled into the office with Mam Ji. They sit there the WHOLE TIME most days in the dark refusing to play with blocks and just sitting quietly, or crying waiting for thier moms. Then Jersey and I do the days lessons, go outside for a break, come back inside and have dancing time.  This of course is not including everyone hitting each other, children crying, yelling, and eating chalk. Have I not mentioned the chalk situation?? They have chalk boards there, and even the little tykes that are less than1yr year old get one. If I have my back turned to the white board and then turn around, i usually have about 5-6 guilty dark faced children looking at me with a white rims around their mouth. I dont know why they eat it, but they love it. Today I found a new favourite. Sad baby is still #1 but this girl is dead next. She is feisty, fiery, explosive. She has to be less than one, she still teder walks not very stable at doing so. She has little curly hair pulled back into a tiny black pony tail. The other day i went to pick her up and swing her in the air (most kids love the following) Instead she screwed up her face, not like a im scared face, but rather in a how freakin dare you pick me up face!!! Then screamed in my face. then girl standing by who watched all this laughed at this, probably because i looked dumbfounded by this girl's attitude for such a small girl. She is the epitome of a Uncha Bonzo. All day today i heard her screaming. She sits scribbling and eating chalk, but if anyone DARES to interrupt her they are in for a high pitch surprise. Someone touches her water bottle *Scream and dirty looks, someone touches her foot *Scream and dirty look, someone walks over her scribbles on the floor *Scream and dirty looks. She's a firecracker and i love her. She kinda reminds me of someone i know EK. Anyways time for me to go. Enjoy the photos of my class i took today.
Nameste Chloe
He sits in the dark the WHOLE TIME in the "wating for mom postion"  















Firecracker baby sitting in my lap



Im not impressed by you face
Tickling Firecracker Baby

















2 comments:

  1. My darling Chloe, You described your walk to work so incredibly well, I felt as if I was with you!! I can picture precious little faces with white powder around their wee mouths. Firecracker baby is the perfect name for this child. I can see her energy in the photos. Awesome pics by the way!!! Love them. Again, your blog (complete with pics) are the highlight of my day. My new mantra is "Chloe and all those she is connected to are safe, happy, and free from violence".
    God Bless,
    Marmee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless the little gaffer with the droopy drawers. Could I send some pants that fit him? Your classroom sounds delightful, with the great mix of personalities. I know it's hard, but try not to show favorites too much... all those little eyes on you want to be your favorite. I hope those little ones that sit & wait for mom all day join you, too.
    Loved your Taj Mahal pics. White marble, amazing. One day I'll take mister master to see it. Keep well.

    ReplyDelete