Sunday, October 17, 2010

Bittersweet Weekend

Helllo all!
Iam now talking to you as a 19 year old. Do i sounds more mature? Perhaps. This weekend was my first weekend home in a long time. I will start off with my week. Because of a holiday my placement Vidiya closed down so i went to Earth Saviours Foundaiton. It is ran by a man named Ravi I think. He was a wealthy man but has put everthing he had into this foundation he started. He had a wife and two kids, who are on all his posters for the foundation (which is really cute) But she left him just recently and now he lives at the foundation. Its on a farm and has a school adn a oldfloks home all bundled up in one on it. As well as a trampoline rat pet cages, adn parrtos. Its SO nice to change up and not work in the slums. To have grass to play on and run around on. While there iam working with old people. One lady was abondond on the door step by her son. The other was found living in a old TV box in a dump, she has slight dementia which we think is due to trauma she claims she saw her daughter murderd in front of her or says somthign eles i forget the other one. But somthing happend. She has a huge scar on her inner thigh she keeps showing me. The other one i forget but she dosnt talk. Anyways the one lady who was abonded still talks to her son but only phones him to curse him. He aprnt misses her and is sorry for leaving her. Anyways she has a rats nest for hair, or shoud i say did. I started off by thinking mabey to get a few knots out. and two days later I brushed all it out. It was GROSS i felt my fingers crawling. As i unbrushed each clumb of hair i was discovering nasty ass crumbs and like dead skin flakes in it and TONS of hair was falling out becasue it was trapped in the knots. She was SO happy she kept praising me and blessing me. Then someone stole my hair conditoner while i was away, i think it was one of the workers. I was kinda teeved. Then I washed the other ladies feet and massaged them with burts bees coconut oil. they loved it. The Handicap lady was getting impatient saw that i brushed the one ladies hair and washed and rubbed the other ladies feet. She kept nattering away to me and was like pacing waitng for her feet to be done. I got aroudn to her eventually. And when i was done she said thankyou in English!! I was so surpised and so happy. That all happend on my birthday. So while i was washing the feet of the ladies i didnt notice but they set up a surpise birthday for me. They bouht me a chocolate cake and made a poster. Everyone sang me happy bithday and they gave me a gift and An old Sir Ji i think he was like the most respected one came up blessed me and gave me the gift and 1,100 RS which is like 25 bucks. and thast a HUGE DEAL. Like these ppl were all taken off the streets. I dont even work with the men i work with the women. I got chooked up and tried to give the money back but aprnt it tradtion. So i went back and told the CCS boss here  they guy who takes care of me what happend. He said he was sooo surprised and gave me special permission to spend the moeny on gifts for them. What? Id ont know knoe any suggestions? I dont wanna give anyhting that can be stolen easily without noone noticing liek a book soap or clothes. Anyways i had to cut my cake and serve it as tradtion as blessing the other people or somthing. but not before all the elders fed me a bite of cake and i did the same. As out of respect. THEN i got home to my flat and everyone was eating lunch (mutton stew) and they had another cake for me and Carrie another volunteers 31st birthday! and more gifts i got a pillow case india style and a key chain. I got 4 cards and tons of wishes!!!!!!!!! After Lunch i went and got my nails done at the salon! YAY then went to the mall with Jennifer and got a dress highheels and necklace. Poopey Doopey cleaned up real good for her 19th. We then headed out to a club and danced the nighaway. The next day i said goodbye to Molly and the day after that CarolAnn. It was a very bittersweet weekend. it feels so quite as i peck away at the keyboard sitting beside Jennifer, knowing that CarolAnn and molly would be here right now. I skyped Molly already and it SO weird to see her at home when she was just with me a couple nights ago but will now sleep in her own bed tongiht for the first time in 6weeks. Her parents made her chicken pot pi and apple crumble. Iam jelous. I miss them both terribly. But its all part of the experince making good friends but having to say goodbye. Although iam sad iam so happy to have met them.its 118am and i should probably go to sleep. goodnight yall

5 comments:

  1. Chili and Boo want to wish a very happy birthday. We were thinking about you on the 15th!
    We had dinner at Granny's house tonight and told everyone about your adventures.
    If I were those old ladies I'd welcome someone brushing my hair and rubbing lotion on my feet. You are doing a good thing Chloe.
    We miss you........all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful birthday! That was so sweet, the cake & gifts to mark your special day.
    Your new placement sounds interesting. These old people sound so appreciative of your fussing over them. Probably nobody has fussed over them in their lifetime! Well, there's a first for everything. You will be fantab with the elderly. Even gran always praises you for taking her arm.
    Maybe for gifts, you could buy the ladies some lotion (feet) and cream rinse (knotty hair) and some barrettes; or- nail polish.
    Hugs, Auntie Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great day you had Chlo. We felt bad we missed your call. Now I know who I can get to rub my feet when I'm an old lady! What a gift you are giving these people Chloe. They won't forget ya! Off to work now. Now here's Shay...you're a brave soul going near that rats nest Chloe. Cross your fingers for me cause I have an interview with bluenotes today! Lots of love- Shay. (ps good thanksgiving grace this year!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry Matt and I missed your call, too! So glad that you sound so happy, though.
    We've been walking Sassy. She awaits the arrival of our hillbilly truck with anticipation. She does a happy dance when we come rumbling up the driveway. And your new little brother (baby llama) is ever-so-sweet.
    I wish you were with me sometimes when I go into the schools. Margaret Stenerson took my book today and the principal suggested I send it to the Minister of Education. So, I did.
    How are the ladies?
    Your Ma is getting excited to get to India. Nine days!
    Big hugs, Auntie Kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Chlo, We were at Janna's game last night. She was slammin the ball hard. Would have made you proud. Tourny today and tomorrow in Chilliwack. Be home tonight around 9:00. Keep missing you!! Can't believe how long you've been away now. We miss you and can't wait to hear in person, all your stories. Love Aunty P

    ReplyDelete